Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Why is it so easy?

Part: Follow
Dances: Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Quickstep
Hovers: 2

Last night's practice was more review at Aria Ballroom. Although the floor is still very slow and a bit sticky, I do like the secure feeling I get dancing on it. The one goofy thing is that every time I drag my heel crosswise against the floor boards I get that clickety-click noise as my heel tip goes over the floor seams. I can tell that my brand new suede leather heel protectors are going to wear off very fast!

Anyways, we nailed down the last bit of our quickstep, which was really the more outstanding issue, as well as the rest of the foxtrot. I've slacked dangerously in my memory of our routines; but at the same time I think it's helped my following. Still, I was able to help Jeff remember some of the timing issues in tango and a little bit at the end of quickstep.

One thing Jeff commented on was how the last bit of our quickstep felt so much easier than we both remember it. It used to be one of the worst spots, I always thought. I don't know how, but we just kind of slid in and out of the quick open reverse into reverse pivots into double reverse with no problem really, and barely any strain on our frame...not usual at all. Personally, I think it has something to do with the timing of our shapes. I was turning my head at all the appropriate junctures and not dropping my side, and Jeff was shaping in a way that made sense for the turn, and we matched! Amazing what that can do. I did posit that perhaps we only think we're better because we've been away from it so long that we don't realize how bad we are, but Jeff disagreed. Our dancing has improved, for sure...at least as a couple. I'm inclined to agree. Even after switching from practice hold to full frame, it was still working, so we must have been doing something right. I'd say that my overall observation is that we move much better together than we used to; everything seems more in sync. I'm more docile to the lead but also confident enough to do something with it, he's more nuanced with the leading and doesn't drag or shove me around. But perhaps I speak too soon. Maybe yesterday was just a good day.

Practice consisted of reviewing the four routines, and by the end we were feeling pretty solid with them. Next up will be tackling some of our known technical problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment