Sunday, May 29, 2011

I think you have your "scenery."

Part: Follow

To take it from the follow's perspective, the practice session Jeff described below was an unusually giggle inducing one, and I think is what made us realize that a lot of funny things have happened to us since we started dancing together: anything from bloody walls to schisms to break-dancing boys to diamond Viennese waltzers to jive-hungry girls and idiotic parking lot drivers and cars in line at the Canadian border.

In any case, I will just add that Jeff did indeed maintain his self-control quite admirably, and I know it must have taken no small effort, as the male psyche is hard put to it to focus elsewhere when a prancing scarcely bikini-clad female specimen of humanity rehearses the most effective way to flaunt her assets. For all that, we actually managed a decent enough practice session, including an awkward left-whisk and contra-check, held, that left me staring at my reflection sideways next to bikini girl . . . "Hi!" I couldn't help but point out to Jeff that now he "had his scenery," since he has been wont to complain about the lack thereof at our local gym compared to the veritable showcase of trophy wives that was the gym he used to frequent in the Cali Bay Area. I think he got more than he bargained for that night!

The best part lately has been our super foxtrot exercise, involving breaking the steps down into micro-beat-fractions, counting them aloud, and dancing to beats only (no music) at turtle speed. What is even crazier is that I think it is actually helping; after doing this for a while I begin to feel the smoothness of the movement, and my body begins to understand the concept of initiating movement on the beat rather than simply stepping on the beat, but it's a hard habit to break. The dance is not in the steps, it is in the movement which the steps support.

Tonight, I think I may perhaps have discovered the solution to ladies' old dance shoes looking horrid, as the flesh toned satin pumps become practice shoes and get beaten, scarred, and stained beyond belief when used for daily practice. Dye them black! I always wear black dance pants or a black or dark skirt to practice, so today I bought a bottle of black Rit dye and some of those sponge brushes, which I just used to apply the dye (mixed with a little water) to the shoes. Voila! Black satin shoes without a stain! The rips and tears don't show as much either, and I plan to recover the heels with black suede, which will be inconspicuous after the color conversion. We'll see how they look when dried tomorrow, but I think I will start doing this for all of my shoes once they are demoted to practice wear only. Another idea is to dye the shoes a darker shade of tan to hide stains, but at that point you might just as well use black. I love my Ray Rose shoes, but they are expensive to replace, so I needed to get creative about a way to make my old Supadance practice shoes look less frightening as I wear them into the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment