Saturday, July 2, 2011

Practice Reform Preliminary Results

Dances:  Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.
Happy Hour:  Matador - Chili and Steak Tacos
Random Events to Report Today:  0

After a week of practice session reform, Sarah and I got to test drive the new system over the last few days.  On Thursday we had a somewhat bumpy beginning, but things went into full swing today.  I have to say, so far it's working.  Of course we'll keep on testing it with the one true test anything has to withstand; time.

I was on my own today for the workout.  My solo workouts days move along very quickly.  I tend to push myself harder throughout the whole ordeal, mainly with much shorter breaks between each set.  I went into practice fairly spent.

Today quickstep was on our schedule.  Specifically the timing of the Tipsies and the Hover into Six Quick Run.  We hit the ground running by starting up the metronome and dancing the Tipsies slowly, then gradually speeding it up.  I'm still not confident about that section since our success rate is far less than perfect.  But it's getting better.  I am however, feeling much better about the Hover into the Six Quick Run.  As we've posted, the slight rise in the lock step has help tremendously.  Today I was focusing on the transition from the Hover into the Run.  If I give Sarah too much time and stretch that means I'll have trouble reeling her in, leading to bad balance and rushing into the Six Quick Run.  I think the Slow count right before the Run is key.  I need to nail that step EVERY TIME.  If I do that the Six Quick Run should fall right into place.  All in all a great practice.

After practice Sarah decided to go home to catch up on some sleep.  Since it was Friday night I decided to go check out DanceWorks.  Turns our they were having an open house for students.  The bad news was it was PACKED and that place has a small floor to begin with.  The good news was that there was no cover to get in and there were lots of new people to meet.  The dancing was ok.  Nothing special due to the large crowd, but I had a good time.  Sarah and I are going decide whether or not we're dancing at all this weekend.  If not, everyone have a great holiday weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment