Monday, October 17, 2011

The Closed Impetus

Dances:  Nightclub 2-Step, Quickstep, Waltz
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

A Monday workout with Sarah!  It is quite rare.  Overall our workout went well.  Monday nights are always really busy at the gym.  That meant we were always waiting around for equipment.  But with some slight modifications we got through it fairly quickly and onto practice.

For a while now, Sarah and I have been putting off Quickstep.  It's easily our worse dance.  I really think it has to do with the speed at which that dance travels.  The funny thing is, I never thought speed would be an issue.  I'm not exactly the slowest or most uncoordinated guy there is.  Speed has never been an issue in anything else.  But apparently, Quickstep is giving me a run for my money.  Sarah's plan was for us to practice our second short side (which she though was our third long side).  I had to remind her NOT to argue with the driver about these things since you'll always be wrong.  The lead always knows which sides are what and where they end up.  :)  At least they should.  Otherwise you should find another lead.  This short side starts with the exit of the Rumba Cross to steps 5-11 of the Running Right Turn, into a Natural Turn, to a Closed Impetus, a Quarter Turn Left, and a Cross Chasse.  What a nightmare.  First off, coming out of the Rumba Cross into a heel turn for the lady that leads into the Running Right Turn is no cakewalk.  It's brutal.  I find that if I make sure I level out my frame completely right after the Rumba Cross, then I have a fight chance at getting Sarah onto her heels.  Otherwise it's game over.  Then comes the outside partner part.  I get the distinct feeling that Sarah has absolutely no idea what is going on in this part of our routine.  At least that's what it feels like.  It feels like she's just guessing as to what the time is as well as where she should be.  Of course that's my fault, but I'm not exactly sure where I'm going wrong.  It's not really that hard to lead other than the heel turn for her.  I'll have to pay more attention to what my upper body is doing next time.  Right now I'm just trying not to die.

After the Running Right Turn we have a Natural Turn.  That's pretty easy.  Then comes the Closed Impetus.  I HATE THEM.  Especially the ones to the right.  In this case, I have to rotate about 300 degrees then step back.  If Sarah isn't spot on, it's damn near impossible.  Plus sucking at that heel turn doesn't help things either.  I can do it on my own but just not with Sarah.  Think I'll have to dance it exactly like my Closed Impetus in Waltz.  Pretend like she's a tether ball and just wrap her around the pole (me) as tightly as possible.

By the end of practice I think that whole side had improved slightly.  It was certainly good for us to review it at the very least.  I think we'll be focusing on Quickstep quite a bit from here on out.  Time to finally kill this dance!

No comments:

Post a Comment