Thursday, October 13, 2011

More Boring Tango

Dances:  Nightclub 2-Step, Tango, Waltz
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Legs at the gym.

I've recently been trying to get some of my other dancer friends to join me for leg day at the gym.  I know for a fact my dancing has improved tremendously because of the leg workouts.  Everything just seems much easier and more stable because of it.  Sadly no one has found the time to do it with me yet.  Not even Sarah.  Tonight was no exception.  Sarah was pretty late getting to practice because the seminar she was at ran long.  As a result we squeezed in a short sessions.

The boring long side of our Tango was once again the focus.  To be honest, I don't find that side boring.  I find it relieving.  After all the crazy stuff that comes before it, that side is a nice break.  It's slow progress though.  Our Contra Check still needs a lot of work.  It's pretty hard making sure all the moving parts are moving not only simultaneously, but also all at once a varying speeds.  I catch myself practicing this movement in between sets at the gym or even in line at the grocery store.  It's tough.  Still not getting it quite yet.  Right after the Contra Check is the Twist Turn.  I don't really find any real issues with this part, but Sarah thinks it's not quite right.  To me it feels like it's easy to lead and my footwork is correct.  I guess we'll have to wait and see what our coaches think.  The Rock Ending is pretty lame though.  Feels like I'm back to the basics again.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it just feels really stupid compared to everything else in our routine.  I do need to make sure my amount of rotation is right when executing the Twist Turn.  It'll greatly impact the start point of our routine when we go to repeat the whole thing.

We ended on a Waltz.  Due to Sarah's lack of proper nourishment, it was a little shaky but not bad.  I think our Waltz is ready for competition.  That's one out of four (no need to worry about Viennese Waltz until Championship level).  75% more to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment