Sunday, October 23, 2011

Oversway Exit Strategy

Dances:  Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

Last night's workout was definitely showing it's ugly teeth today.  As a result, my workout today as well as practice was impacted greatly.

For months now, our Tango has slowly made improvement, particularly the first long side.  It is without a doubt the hardest part of the routine.  One aspect that also causes us problems is the exit to the Oversway.  I always feel like I'm literally pulling the two of us out of it.  During our last lesson with Simeon he assessed it and found that Sarah wasn't quite pulling her weight there.  Weeks after that lesson it still felt heavy and difficult to move.  So today I danced it a few times and realized something.  My shape going into it kind of continued out of it.  I more or less swing that shape out of the figure and level it out half way through.  The next time through I paid special attention to leveling myself out prior to moving out.  It helped tremendously.  Funny thing was, Sarah was also trying something new at the same time and we both thought our adjustments were the cause of the new found success.  So I'm not sure which one of us really fixed the issue (maybe it was a combination of both), but it felt A LOT better.  It's amazing what you can accomplish with a level frame.  Overall a short practice due to my destroyed legs and the round we danced at the beginning.  But it was definitely productive.

No comments:

Post a Comment