Monday, October 31, 2011

When NOT to Bother a Man

Dances:  Nightclub 2-Step, Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

Mondays are never easy as most people will tell you.  The whole cycle of work starts all over again.  That means arms and back at the gym followed by practice.  Today I had Sarah along for the workout.  She seems to like arms and back days.  For some reason those are the days she happens to workout with me.  Weird.

We warmed up with some Nightclub 2-Step.  It's probably our best dance, which is sad.  We've been joking that our first comp should be a Nightclub 2-Step heat and that's it.  I'm all for it.  After that we danced our round which was pretty good.  Rounds are easier at the beginning of the week.  I got through it with little trouble today.  Finally onto the meat of the practice.  Again with the Quickstep.  This time, the exit to the Rumba Cross section.  It involves a the second half of a Running Right Turn into a Closed Impetus.  For me, this section is pretty straightforward (other than the heel turn lead coming out of the Rumba Cross).  But for some reason, Sarah always feels lost to me.  It's almost as if she's guessing at what we're doing.  I'm not sure why.  I asked her and the answer didn't help.  I think it has to do with our positioning.  The Running Right Turn can be pretty brutal if you're off a little bit.  I found that out the hard way.  Sarah nailed me right where it counts for a man a few times today.

I had to explain to Sarah what NOT to do when you hit a guy's family jewels.  Don't ask what's wrong.  Don't ask if he's ok.  Don't try consoling him.  It's best just to leave him alone and NOT incessantly ask questions.  Though I have to say, it's really funny watching this all go down when it happens to someone else.  Luckily it doesn't happen often to us.  One of the many occupations hazards I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment