Sunday, October 16, 2011

Like Fleas in a Jar

Dances:  Everything except Quickstep, Bachata, and Merengue.
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

Nothing really special about today's workout other than the fact that it seemed to be one of those days where all the machines you want to use are in use.  That gets annoying very quickly.  You really need to ask yourself what are the odds of that happening.  Even with the math it still happens quite frequently.

Practice today was also quite routine with the Viennese Waltz.  That dance still feels really good other than the Fleckerls (which are getting worse IMO).  We still can't figure out how to get into them.  More often than not I'll start them and Sarah won't.  That leads to her either tripping and the whole thing coming to a halt, or her needing to play catch up.  Either way, it's too risky to dance.

After that we headed to DanceWorks for the party, as usual.  We danced pretty well tonight.  Everything was well balanced and there was little error.  Only thing was when I miscalculated how much room I had in a corner for my Waltz.  That ended with me bashing my elbow into the wall.  The other close call was when I almost danced Sarah's head into the wall that sticks out on the side of the wall during the Viennese Waltz.  I think of my dancing much like the fleas in a jar experiment.  You put a bunch of fleas in a jar (I'm the flea and the jar is the ballroom).  At first the fleas just jump out of the jar so you put a lid on it.  After a short while you remove the lid and find that all the fleas will now only jump to the point where the lid was.  None of them jump out.  It seems like my dancing is much the same.  I get accustomed to a room and then just dance right to the edge.  I'm not sure if that's good or not.  Certainly, Sarah's head is a liability in that case.

The floor tonight was pretty fast.  I had to re-brush my shoes halfway though because it was starting to being quite treacherous.  On such a small floor I need to know I'll stop when I want to.

After the dance we stuck around talking to quite a few of the regulars.  It's nice to finally get to know them better.  Lots of great stories as well as comparisons between the different styles people compete in.  Overall a lot of laughing.  A good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment