Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Weak Kneed Waltz

Dances:  Nightclub 2-Step, Waltz
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

After last night's short practice, due to Sarah's knee giving out, we were back in the "ballroom" to try it again.  Sarah was gingerly testing the waters out and that was really apparent.  Her timing was off and her drives felt pretty weak.  I can't blame her though.  From time to time my knees can give me grief as well.  I guess we're all just getting old.

That being said we worked on the Outside Spin Turn into a Natural Spin Turn into a Turning Lock in Waltz.  Overall I feels like I'm getting better at realizing when the connection in our hips is gapping.  It's a tough problem to solve.  With all that rotation and slipping back and forth from outside partner to closed, it's really easy to give up either your frame, connection, head position, etc.  All that aside, I really like this section of our waltz.  I don't think we dance it too poorly either.  I remember when I was first introduced to the Outside Spin Turn.  It was disastrous.  Everything about it was tough.  But after a while I was able to dance it with my partner, then a little while after that I had figured out how to lead it socially.  On the social side, it's a tricky move.  Usually you get a surprised look and reaction from the follow.  However my success rate is pretty high now for that figure.  For social dancers, I think the key to success here is the exit.  You have to make sure to get your driving leg right in between her's to do the Natural Turn coming out of it.  If you don't, BAIL.  Other than that, the amount of rotation is really up to you.  If she moves pretty well you can get a lot of rotation in.  Otherwise just tone it down.

That section of our Waltz leads right into a Contra Check.  I still struggle with that check.  Mostly it comes down to getting all the moving parts to move simultaneously.  Usually I leg goes out for the check way before my upper body starts moving.  Awkward.  Give me a couple million more times and I'll probably have it down.  Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment