Thursday, October 13, 2011

Jack-in-the-Box Bobble Head Tango

Part: Follow
Dances: Night club 2-step, Tango, Waltz
Hovers: 1

Yesterday night was slated for tango, and after our night-club 2-step warm up and Jeff's customary laugh at my practice plan, we headed in to the basic reverse turn, contra check, and natural twist turn. Our contra-check needs to be much more rotary, and we both have a tendency to dip too deeply into it instead, causing the balance to get off kilter. Either Jeff's on top of me or I pull him over. There was one goofy one where we had good balance in the contra-check position, but then I bobbed up way too hard and too far, kind of like a jack-in-the-box, and knocked Jeff a bit off balance. I think my head sort of bobbed back and forth after I came up too...not sure, but I'm sure it looked pretty special. Sort of like my recent too violent promenade close. I guess now would be a good time to mention that one thing I like about dancing with Jeff is that he's actually pretty hard to knock over. There's little more awkward feeling for a follow than dancing with a guy you feel like you could crush if you took a figure a little too aggressively or send flying if you were to drive too hard.

I like natural twist turns. Unfortunately, I'm not a huge fan of it in our tango, as I much prefer the variation ending in promenade. Still, it's a cool feeling figure because of the amount of condensed energy and torque you get from the step.

My body wasn't responding very well last night, but I hadn't had time to eat more dinner than a few nuts due to my crazy evening schedule running around, so it's likely low blood sugar was related. Jeff thought I was thinking about doing certain steps and therefore not following, but I really wasn't, I was just slow and felt a bit sluggish. Anyways, we ended with a waltz run through, perhaps not our best, but definitely not bad. Our first section in particular feels quite controlled now. That slow practice we did initially is starting to pay dividends.

No comments:

Post a Comment