Friday, November 4, 2011

The Energy Costs of Each Figure; It Adds Up Fast

Dances:  Salsa, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

Boy was I feeling the previous night's leg workout today.  Even walking around the house was fairly strenuous.  Of course with my luck tonight's practice was Quickstep.  The Six Quick Run at that.  Luckily I chose not to dance a round.  I don't think I would've made it.

The Six Quick Run has always given Sarah and I trouble.  Not because it's really all together that difficult of a step, but due to the speed you need to be at to turn it around in time.  I had to explain some physics to Sarah today.  I found out she never took it in high school.  When you travel in one direction at a certain speed and want to go in the exact opposite at the same speed it'll cost you DOUBLE the amount of energy to accomplish (in the absence of wind and other type of resistance).  So in dancing, if I want to accomplish that very idea, it'll cost me.  I also had to explain that at some point during that transition you will be at a dead stop.  It's impossible not to be.  The whole point of those explanations was the change of direction the Six Quick Run takes.  It's not completely in the exact opposite direction, but the change is enough need a fair amount of energy to accomplish.  Because of this, we're always late.  I'm not sure what we can do to fix this.  Either I'm just simply not quick enough, or Sarah isn't pulling her weight there.  We'll have to investigate it with our coaches further.  For now, I always just pray and borrow half a count from the next figure to cover my debt.

For some reason tonight, Sarah and I were both STARVING.  I had had plans to meet Kora and Simeon for dinner, but I just couldn't wait that long.  We ended practice shortly after we started to go get some pho.  Perfect for such a cold day.

No comments:

Post a Comment