Saturday, November 5, 2011

Sour Milk Face Sarah

Dances:  Waltz, Viennese Waltz, Salsa, Nightclub 2-Step, Rumba, 3x Swing, Bachata Line Dance
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

TGIF.  It's been a long week.  At least it felt long.  Sarah joined me for the workout today.  We got started a little later than usual since I had to go back home to get my dance shoes after realizing I forgot them right as I was pulling into the gym's parking lot.  As a result, practice was cut really short.  When we got in the "ballroom" I told Sarah we had about 10-15 minutes to practice.  Her face melted (what I call the "Sour Milk Face") followed by the patented, disapproving Sarah "WHAT?!?!".  I find it funny how high practice ranks on her priority list.  I've called her on it many times.  It's almost as though she feels like if we miss even one second of practice we'll regress.  Of course she denies this (not fully, but mostly).  Too funny.  Probably not to her, but for me.

We ran through Fleckerls in Viennese Waltz.  For some reason we just weren't in sync today.  It felt like Sarah would rise through the Fleckerl.  She swears up and down that she wasn't, but it really did feel like it to me.  Luckily we didn't have to practice it for long.  Just a bad Fleckerl night.

From there we headed to DanceWorks.  It had been two weeks since I had done any social dancing.  I found out right before we left the gym that tonight was and open house night at the studio.  When we got there, the place was PACKED.  I gotta hand it to Scott, the owner and tonight teacher of the HUGE group class.  He really knows how to handle a crowd and is really fun to work with.  After the Rumba class ended, the party started.  Since it was open house night, most of the music was club music.  The only Standard dance played that night were two Waltzes.  Definitely not the easiest driving I've had to do by a long stretch.  It was ok though.  Plenty of opportunities to get our club dances a good work through.  I did manage to get dragged into some crazy Bachata line dance they had everyone do.  Sarah conveniently used the couple next to us as a flimsy excuse to ditch out.  Alas, I was stuck in it.  After the dance a bunch of the regulars hung out and compared crazy, cheesy dance music.  I was able to bring a fair share to that table with the extensive archive I've been building these past 6 months.  Overall a good night with lots of friends and great dancers.

On another note, the hair project continues.  It's getting pretty close though.  I had my stylist look at a picture of Victor and cut my hair like it.  Now it's really tight and short on the sides and longer in the front.  When slicked back though, it works.  Who knows, I may just turn out to be a ballroom dancer after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment