Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Short Round

Dances:  Rumba, Waltz, Tango, Viennese Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  chest and shoulders at the gym.
Flavor of the Day at the Gym:  Poop

Today's workout was going well until I ran into a particularly unpleasant patron.  The Cable Cross at that gym is one of the popular machines used.  It's constantly in use and there is usually a line to get to it.  It doesn't help that this gym only has one of them.  I had finished up all my other routines and left the chest flies for last.  Usually I like to do them first, but since the machine was in use, I had to move on.  So I asked this guy how many sets he had left and he told me he'd be about 5 more minutes.  No problem.  I just did abs in the corner and waited.  While waiting another gentleman came up and asked if I was in line.  I said yes and that he's welcome to work in between my sets.  So we waited.  Ten minutes passed when the guy on the machine turns to us and says "You know, just standing there isn't going to make me go any faster."  What an asshole.  Luckily I kept my cool and politely informed him that the two of us had finished everything else we had to do and had nothing else left.  He then ignored us and continued his workout.  I can't stand inconsiderate people.  In the end I took up two machines in the other room and created a makeshift cable cross to finish my workout.  I'd also like to point out that it smelled like poop today at the gym.  I know that sounds childish and funny, but unfortunately there is no other word I can find to describe that smell.

After a quick Rumba, to which Sarah freaked and nerded out about the music to, we picked out a video for our round and it began.  For some reason though, this video was edited VERY tightly and that meant we only danced about half of each of our routines.  Not what you're going for when you're trying to build endurance.  But that's ok.  At least it let us know what it feels like when the pacing is such.  We'll be ready for anything they throw at us after this.

Tango was next.  Our Back Open Promenade into Outside Swivel is VERY inconsistent.  It's tough getting two checks, in opposite directions, in the space of two quicks.  I focused on making sure my alignments were correct as well as going straight back into the second check.  If I don't, Sarah ends up falling on top of me.  Once we get to the outside swivel though, everything snaps back in place.  I wonder sometimes if our Outside Swivel needs to be bigger or more prominent.  I'll have to ask Simeon or Kora about that next time.

We ended with some lead and follow Foxtrot.  Not the best leading work I've ever done.  I kept getting into bad states where I would just repeat a few figures over and over again.  I guess everyone has brain farts from time to time.

No comments:

Post a Comment