Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Abdication of the Supadance 9000 - Wide, Black Patent

Dances:  Tango, Waltz
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.
Happy Hour:  Ruth's Chris Steak House - Cheese Burger and Caesar Salad.
New Pairs of Dance Shoes Remaining:  2

Today is a special day.  It marks the retirement of my first pair of dance shoes used in competition practice.  For those of you keeping score, it's only been two and a half months since I started training to compete with Sarah, and a month before that with Natalia.  Rest assured that Supadance's quality in shoe making has not declined.  This pair has been used for a little over a  year total and just happened to carry over once I started to train.  Boy did they age quickly once that happened.  Not to get sappy or anything, but I'm always a little bit sad to see a pair of dance shoes go.  I'm not sure what makes dance shoes so special, but call me crazy, I seem to develop a certain bond with them during their service.  Anyone else feel this way?  I still have my first ever pair sitting around.  However, change is good.  Tomorrow I get to start wearing my new pair of Ray Rose Sandstorm Black Patent shoes.  I'm pretty excited (see, dance nerd).  From what I've tried so far, I think these will be amazing shoes.  Thank you to the Supadance 9000 and your faithful aid in my dance career.

Sarah and I are on a roll this week with the workouts.  Today was another excellent day.  We both felt well exercised going into practice.  Another rant about the gym.  I HATE people who don't rack the weights after they're done with them.  Throughout the day, people take the free weights into other rooms and just leave them there.  So in the evening it's hard to find anything to use.  The other weights used for machines are strewn all over the floor which in turn leads to you tripping all over them.  The staff there should really crack down on this.  Not sure what I'm paying them for.  As Shepherd Book from Firefly would say:  "You're going to burn in a very special level of hell.  A level reserved for child molesters and people who talk at the theater."  Add people who don't put things back where they belong after using them please.

Practice today was rather short.  Sarah and I worked on our back open promenade in tango again.  It's starting to feel better, but definitely not consistent yet.  After about a half hour of that we headed over to Premiere Dance Center to say hello to our coaches Kora and Simeon who had just returned from Blackpool and Bulgaria.  It's good to have them back.  I need to remember to schedule some lessons with them next week.  We'll find out how much good our metronomic practice has done us.  While we were at Premiere, Sarah and I took a little time to work on our contra checks.  Still much to be desired there, but it's improved from what we started with.  Looks like we'll have our first blog post about a lesson here soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment