Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Rumba in the Quickstep?! Really?!

Dances:  Foxtrot, Waltz, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Legs at the gym.
Emails Sent Today:  9

Leg day at the gym is always a tough day to practice, though today was a rare exception.  I'm not sure if it was because of the new shoes, but the usual rubber legs syndrome didn't occur.  And I'm sure I worked out hard.  Sarah decided not to join me today so I was able to crank out legs in less than half an hour.

As mentioned, today was new shoes day.  I love the first few days of wearing a new pair.  Everything from my balance, to heel turns, to swivels to Feather Steps, were all magically upgraded.  Not that I'm a salesman for Ray Rose, but they definite know their craft.  If you haven't tried a pair yet, do so.  By far the best ones I've owned yet.

Sarah and I focused on Quickstep today.  Specifically our Rumba Cross section.  We even applied a little metronome to it.  By the end, I think we were getting the hang of it.  It has a lot to do with the timing in our steps, head position, and shaping.  Of course this is the case with any step out there, but the Rumba Cross can easily go to hell in a hand basket in the blink of an eye and the proper alignment of all of those variables is far less forgiving if executed incorrectly.  The second heel lead always troubles me, kind of like the Three Step in Foxtrot.  Just feels awkward and I keep cheating with my toe.  However, I've been instructed to do so and I guess I just have to suck it up.  The cross of the right leg behind the left at the end doesn't help matters any as well.  All in all, I seem to have a love hate relationship with this pattern.  I love and hate the way it feels all at the same time.  Actually to be more specific, I love the way it moves from the waist up and hate the way it works from the waist down.  Our Rumba Crosses exit with steps 5 to 11 of a Running Right Turn.  Another fun one to lead.  It's definitely a challenge making sure Sarah gets a good lead for her heel turn then right back out on her toe again.

Overall it was a great practice.  We peppered in a little waltz and foxtrot.  Those two dances are definitely smoother and easier to control.  We'll be taking a break for the next few days since Sarah has some family and work events to tend to.  Hopefully we'll have some updates over the weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment