Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Hump Day

Dances:  Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Legs at the gym.
Amount of Gas Filled Today:  15.09 gallons.

Another Wednesday practice!  I really should stop writing about how rare these are because apparently they're not.  As mentioned above, today was leg day at the gym.  I had plenty of time to stretch out, run, and do the workout.  I've noticed that my legs are the one part of my body where each week there has been a significant increase in the amount of weight I can handle.  I guess it makes sense with all the dancing, but I'm really surprised the curve has been so steep.  I'm not going to complain though.  The stronger my legs get, the easier the slow exercises will be to accomplish.  I can then worry about other things like my frame, shape, head position, etc.

Sarah actually had choir today and we started off practice at around 8:30.  Since it's a bit later than usual and with the leg workout, we generally take Wednesdays a little easier.  I gotta say though, today wasn't bad energy wise.  We started off with a round.  I didn't feel horribly out of breath at the end.  I remember when I first started, I could barely finish the waltz.  After the round we decided to do one of each of our routines, beginning to end, metronomically:

Waltz is still shaky.  There are many places where either I'm rushing the beat or she is (usually it's when we fall over).  Closed Impetuses are a bitch and a half that slow.  Something tells me we're not doing them quite right so I'll have to ask Kora or Simeon about it when they get back.

Quickstep is just weird.  It's surprisingly hard to remember the correct amalgamation of quicks and slows to your routine at caterpillar speeds.  However, since this is only day two, I'm not too worried about it.

Foxtrot is easily (and obviously) the best of the bunch.  This will be halfway through week three of our exercise.  I think we're finally got it under control for the most part.  We're even hitting most of the offbeats dead on.  The next step will be to apply it to music and see how it goes.

Last but not least, we ran another round which went well.  On our way out of the gym Sarah and I got into a conversation about treating your body right both from a workout and diet perspective.  With the amount of physical activity she performs per day she really needs to eat more and better.  More on this in a future post as I'm sure the topic will come up again.  Unfortunately not much else to report today.  It was a very mundane day overall.  Don't worry though.  Crazy stuff will happen soon again.  It always does.

2 comments:

  1. What part of your legs do you feel getting stronger that's helping your movement the most?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of the whole package. Hard to say which part is helping the most since it feels like I'm using all the different muscles from step to step depending on where we are and what we're doing.

    ReplyDelete