Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Inner Ear Problem

Dances:  Foxtrot, Tango, Waltz, Quickstep, Nightclub 2-Step
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

Monday was a really interesting day for me and as a result, I had to cancel practice.  But today we were back on.  Working out was good but I was still really exhausted from the day before.  This lead to a really good practice in the bad way.  I know, weird.

Basically we had an off day.  We started with the Waltz which was completely off balance.  Right after the Natural Turn, everything was falling over.  It was almost as if we figured out where we needed to be to be on balance and then deliberately avoided that area.  This meant that all our rotations were off alignment and we almost died when we got to the Contra Check.  Normally Waltz is our strongest dance but not today.

After Waltz, Sarah made things worse by jinxing the Zig-Zag in our Foxtrot.  She informed me that she has never felt comfortable during that figure.  That was news to me because I actually thought we danced it well.  The initial learning curve was a little steeper than usual (I've ranted about it in a previous post), but we seemed to have learned to dance it consistently.  So we decided to spend some time on it.  Sure enough, the jinx kicked in and I couldn't dance it worth a damn.  All of a sudden I couldn't get our connection quite right and my frame buckled through it.  Hopefully I'll figure it out again soon.

Finally, we touched base with Tango a little.  This dance actually didn't bomb like the other two.  Overall it was average.  Our connection was still a little off but at least our balance was back.  I gotta say, the only good thing about this practice was the new Super Mario quickstep I got to try out.  But these days will happen every now and then.  The trick is to not let it get to you and get your head back into the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment