Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lesson #15

Dances:  Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, Nightclub 2-Step, Cha Cha, Rumba, 3x Swing, Merengue, Salsa
Part:  Lead
Workout:  None.

It has been quite a while since our last lesson.  Almost a month and a half.  Mostly due to scheduling conflicts and perhaps some laziness.  :)  But what's important is that Sarah and I arrived a little before 5PM for our lesson.

Today's lesson was a little different in that Sarah and I both had very clear ideas on what we wanted to work on with Simeon.  We also made it a point to make sure we got in all of our questions for both the Tango and the Waltz.  Usually Simeon (or Kora) will start us off with a dance, and then before you know it, we've spent the whole hour working on one section of just that one dance.  While that's fine, today we had too many questions over the two dances to just settle for one.  Poor Simeon had to work under an egg timer.  30 minutes per dance, no exceptions.

We started off with the Waltz, and not 2 minutes in, Simeon was already pulling his Compliment Sandwich crap.  Again focusing on how "good" or preparation step was.  The three of us broke down laughing because it's become so ridiculous.  The good news is that our Waltz is pretty consistent.  Nothing glaringly awful sticks out about it.  The only major issues we face right now is our Promenade Position, my tipping frame, and my creeping shoulder.  Simeon mentioned getting a posture brace to wear during practice since it makes sure my shoulders stay back and even no matter what I try to do.  It's not a bad idea so I'm going to look for one.  As far as the tipping is concerned, I'm going to keep practicing with our friend the bar as well as in front of a mirror to make sure I'm dead on.  I've mentioned before that my frame seems to be getting worse and today I found out for sure.  I seem to be dropping my right elbow a little.  It's interesting because neither Kora nor Simeon has pointed this out before, so I wonder what has caused me to get lazy there.  Oh well, just need to redouble my efforts in keep my elbows up and on the same level.  Sarah on the other had needs to make sure she stays with that elbow regardless of it being up, down, or level.

Next we worked on our main target issue, the Contra Check.  We got some great pointers here.  I think this is the most we've ever worked on this figure.  Simeon was great at giving me some very simple objectives to focus on.  I need to pull my left elbow as far back and up as I can while making sure my right elbow moves equally as much down and forward so as not to break frame.  Along with that I need to be looking past Sarah while making sure my head stays on my side and doesn't come parallel to hers.  Last but not least, timing.  All the separate parts need to move together as one.  So as I extend my left foot into CBM, my left elbow is pulling back and up, my right elbow doing the opposite, and my head turning to look past Sarah.  PHEW!!  That's a lot of stuff to think about all at the same time.

Sarah and I stay for the dance after our lesson.  Always the same people, same music, and same floor crafting.  But it had been a while since we've been to the party and it was nice to have large floor to move on again.  Overall a great time and lesson!

No comments:

Post a Comment