Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Our Grand Entrance

Dances:  Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Nightclub 2-Step
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

Sarah and I crushed out workout today.  I think we're getting much better at completing them very efficiently while still getting a thorough workout.  We went into the "ballroom" to find not only our Latin dancing friends but also the baton twirling guy.  That meant it was going to be slippery day.

Since Simeon had been giving us so much crap about our awesome Prep Step, Sarah and I both thought we should work on it a bit just to make sure we get started perfectly.  That includes position, connection, posture, frame, etc.  One thing I've been making a point to do is to start dancing "properly".  By that I mean the stage right before she comes into your frame.  The invitation.  That overall look and feel is surprisingly important.  It kind of sets the tone for the whole dance.  Unfortunately it's too easy to just fall into the bad habit of grabbing the woman and start dancing.  So time to break that habit.  On top of just looking and feeling better, it's also more gentlemanly.

The Prep Step practice went well.  I think we really are quite good at it.  It's the steps that follow the prep that really mess us up.  With that in the bag, Sarah and I moved onto Tango.  Recently (aside from trying to level out my frame) I've been trying harder to travel more in our Tango.  It's the only dance where we don't have any issues fitting into that room.  That means we're not moving quite big enough.  Along with that, we played around with different parts to start our Tango at.  After some experimentation I think our first short side is still the best one to begin with.

Last but not least the 20% Project continued.  It seems like we're making the most progress with the Nightclub 2-Step.  Then again, it is quite a bit simpler.

No comments:

Post a Comment