Friday, September 2, 2011

The Third "In"

Dances:  Viennese Waltz, Nightclub 2-Step
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.
Groomed Puppies Today:  1

Wow.  By tomorrow, Sarah and I will have had a complete full week of practice.  Not unheard of, but definitely not common either.  What's more is Sarah realized that we've been dancing together for 5 months now.  We're closing in on the half year and almost 60 documented practices!  Still no fights.  Either we're the most boring dance couple ever or most awesome.  Not sure which.  I can tell you however, that the arms and back workout today was good.  I'm pushing myself harder each week and it's working.

Sarah and I started off with our patented Nightclub 2-Step warm up.  I wouldn't be surprised if our first competition is just a freestyle Nightclub 2-Step.  We keep joking about it but I'm not writing it off yet.  The next step will be to convince some of our dance buddies to compete with us in the same event.  That would be awesome.

Practice tonight was shorter due to a planned happy hour run out to Ballard to help cheer up a fellow friend and dancer who broke her wrist during her lesson with Simeon.  That's right.  Simeon broke the wrist of his student.  What a monster.  Though in his defense, he claims that he wasn't even touching her when she fell.  The jury is still out on that one.  I guess I'll need to wear some padding for my next lesson just in case.

Sarah and I decided to revisit Fleckerls today and I made an important and crucial discovery.  As many of you know, the footwork for Fleckerls is "in, in out, in, in out" and so on until you do a Contra Check and go the other way again with "in, in, out, in, in out, etc.".  For some reason, I've never been able to sync up with Sarah to do the Contra Check.  Tonight I found out why.  In my entrance to the Fleckerls, my first step technically counts as an "in" and I haven't been counting it.  So essentially I start out with three ins, then go out and continue the pattern per normal.  That causes an unsolvable problem.  And a really stupid one, on my part, at that.  At least I figured it out and now we sync up better.  Still light years away from where we need to be for this figure but at least we look less retarded now and the Contra Check doesn't happen when Sarah has her legs crossed.  That was awkward.

No comments:

Post a Comment