Wednesday, September 28, 2011

New Songs, Old Quickstep

Dances:  Cha-Cha. Quickstep, Tango
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Legs at the gym.
Songs Added This Week:  279

Ahhh.  Leg day again.  It's strange, but I think leg day is my favorite day or working out.  It's tough, but it seems like get the most use out of the results.  That being said, Wednesday night practices are always rough because of the preceding workout.  Today was no exception.

Our calendar today put Quickstep on the radar tonight.  Specifically the Hover Corte into the Six Quick Run.  The problems for us in this figure are the same as the problem in most every figure in Quickstep.  We're too slow.  I'm not sure what it is about the Six Quick Run, but we never seem to be able to dance it quick enough.  How hard can it be to run six steps?  Apparently pretty hard.  I think it's the change in directions that the run takes.  Going back then having to bounce forward right after that is tough.  I suspect it might have something to do with Sarah as well.  If she drives too hard when I'm going backward, I have to work that much harder to go forward.  That puts us behind.  The other issue is the Hover Corte.  I think our timing here could be a little better.  If I let her hover too long, I'm late going into the run.  Too short and we're ahead of the beat, not to mention the hover suffering.  Last but not least, I don't think Sarah and I are totally in sync during the Six Quick Run.  That will lead to balance issues and impact our final speed.  *sigh*  Quickstep always gets the better of us.

We finished up with Tango as lead and follow practice.  This dance is pretty easy to do that.  I think it's mainly because there are pretty clear start and stop points.  Whereas every other dance kind of flows together.  With Tango it's really pass or fail.  Not much in between.  I haven't really made up my mind if that's good or bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment