Monday, September 26, 2011

Practice On A Social Night

Dances:  Waltz, Foxtrot, Viennese Waltz, Cha Cha, Nightclub 2-Step, West Coast Swing, Hustle
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

We really need to either buckle down and focus on our Friday night practices or just ditch them altogether.  Since Sarah and I have been attending the DanceWorks parties on Friday nights, our practices have suffered.  I honestly could go either way here.  I think the social dancing is practice for sure.  Just a different type of practice.

That being said, our practice was really short tonight.  Sarah was running late and I was tired from a pretty crazy week.  We worked more on the Foxtrot.  Specifically the Hover Telemark.  We figured out that Sarah was dropping her left side during this figure.  That explains why she always feels heavy there and our balance has a tendency of falling over in that direction.  It's a pretty tough step to get right.  I never realized how much shaping there is in it.  It's very subtle, but there nonetheless.

After practice we headed out to DanceWorks.  The crowd was a little larger tonight.  We're getting to know more of the regular people there and it's fun to talk to them.  Many of them ask me where we're from and how long we've been dancing.  DanceWorks has very little to no competitive students so Sarah and I stick out.  I think it's great for both parties.  We are more relaxed by the people and atmosphere there and they have a good example to look up to.  A few times, some of them have asked me questions on how to "fix" their frame among other things.  The funny thing is, most of them think we're professional dancers.  Merely the fact that we are "dance partners" to them meant pro.  I had to explain to them that we're far from professional and that it's just a hobby we're very dedicated to.  It's like having a partner in tennis.  Doesn't mean you're pro.  Just means you can now play doubles and get better at it by getting to know your partner better and anticipate their decisions.  One thing I am focusing on in the social environment is dancing the standing figures (like Hovers in Waltz) more.  I have a tendency to just keep moving and never stopping for a hesitation or anything that involves staying in one place.  I'm getting better at it though, and I think the contrast to all the movement really benefits the overall look at feel of the dances.

After the dance we went out with Scott (owner of DanceWorks) and some of the students.  This is maybe the second time I've hung out with them outside of the studio.  Great people.  I love getting to know new groups.  It's one of the best parts of dancing.

No comments:

Post a Comment