Friday, September 23, 2011

Tick-Tock Tipsies

Dances:  Nightclub 2-Step, Quickstep, Waltz
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Legs at the gym.

Being leg day, Quickstep seemed an odd choice for the day, but that's what we focused on.  Again, it was back to the Tipsies and the timing of it.  After busting out the metronome, we ran through that section a few times at a much slower speed and true to form, we just couldn't sync up.  So I told Sarah that she doesn't seem to follow me there.  We always end up fumbling separately through the Tipsies then sync back up during the Lock Step that follows.  One thing we need to sort out is the rhythm that we want to dance that figure to.  Either straight eighth notes like the book states, or the syncopated version that Kora says is correct.  Once we figure that out, we need to bring the figure up to speed.  We're still lagging quite a bit.  In an attempt to have Sarah follow me better, I ran the metronome to my bluetooth headset so only I could hear the clicks.  That seemed to get a better response, but we're still pretty off sync.  One of these days we'll get it down.

Today we also looked into some of the various options regarding bowing and presenting your partner.  Good news.  Sarah and I are really in sync here.  I think the women needs to take on the thankful perspective.  She needs to tell the audience that she's thankful of their support and viewership.  Meanwhile, the man needs to command the audience.  He needs to tell them that he is THE man and at the same time make sure they know his partner is really the one who makes it all happen.  Confidence is key there.  Lots of our other friends run drills of walking on and off the floor.  I think it's pretty self explanatory.  Who knows, I'll probably mess it up at my first comp.

We ended on a Waltz.  Other than the whole following issue, we danced A LOT better than yesterday.  So I'm glad it was just an off day for us.  Hopefully those don't occur too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment