Friday, September 30, 2011

What is a Telemark?

Dances:  Waltz, Foxtrot, Nightclub 2-Step
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

I think I pushed myself a little too hard at the workouts this week.  Today I was just downright exhausted physically.  Sarah was lifting weights with me today and between the two of us the workout look a lot longer to complete.  But the important thing is we got through it.

Hover Telemarks in Foxtrot are evil.  I'm not sure exactly what it is about them, but they are evil.  It's almost as if you need to nail the figure completely or suffer consequences on either end.  I think it's the shaping that's getting us killed.  Over shape to the right and coming out of it is difficult.  Under shape it, and it barely qualifies as a Hover Telemark.  What is a Telemark anyways?  I'm sure I've asked this question before, but never got a straight answer.  It seems that all the figures with "Telemark" in the name don't have a common denominator other than the work "Telemark".  I'll have to ask Kora or Simeon about it when they get back.  Of course Simeon's answer will be along the lines of "I'm not sure", while Kora's will be a HUGE historical story.  I'll have to consider if I want to risk that.  :)  In the end our practice well went and the Hover Telemark continues in a positive direction.  American style Twinkles are so much easier.  We should trade the Hover Telemark for the Twinkle.

I think our practice calendar is helping tremendously.  It keeps us focused on a few things a day and surprisingly we do actually focus on them.  I wonder how long we'll be able to keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment