Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Practice Calendar is Back!

Dances:  Waltz, Salsa, Foxtrot
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

Our practice of late have been losing focus.  Sarah and I have both felt this so we thought it'd be a good idea to start up our dance calendar again.  Sarah this time volunteered to write out the schedule and upkeep it.  She's better at this than I am.  Not to mention more anal about it.  That works out well for me though and today was the first day we used the calendar.

On the schedule tonight was working on the Wing, both getting into and out of it.  The Wing is one of the worst figures ever.  Sarah and I have both ranted about it many previous posts.  It's just awkward.  Tonight however, we were determined to make it feel better.  After a few tries, I noticed that my frame was breaking horrifically when in Wrongside Position.  I do what everyone does.  My right arm pushed out and over to left to get her on the other side.  That will get us killed in competition.  So I started trying to move Sarah by rotating my entire frame.  It's a lot more work but definitely looks better and much smoother.  I compared to to the Contra Check.  To me it feels a lot like it at least.  Only this time you're using the rotation to move her over to the other side.  I might be completely wrong on this, but that's what it feels like to me.  We worked on entering the Wing for most of practice.  Near the end we got into exiting it with the various figures in our routine.  Sarah, again, is still calibrating her steps.  Sometimes she over steps and other times under.  Either way, it messes me up.  I wonder if she's paying attention to where my leg is there.  I'll have to ask her tomorrow about it.

After the cursed Wing practice we had lead and follow practice in Foxtrot.  This is where we just dance a Foxtrot and I lead whatever I feel like leading.  Basically a social dance.  Not bad practice though since it gives Sarah a chance to work on turning her brain off.  I on the other hand came up with an AWESOME idea.  I decided to try dancing the Reverse Wave in reverse.  Now it took me longer than I'm proud of to realize this (six bars to be exact), but a reverse Reverse Wave is just a Feather Step followed by a Three Step.  We broke down laughing at this.  Mainly because I was SO excited about my AWESOME idea, then the slow realization that it was just the most basic steps in Foxtrot.  We told Kora and Simeon about it later on at dinner and everyone was howling.  Too funny.  But in my defense, how the hell was I supposed to know.  We get into our Reverse Wave with a heel turn then I just start dancing backwards.  Doesn't feel at all like Feather and Three.  Bastards!

No comments:

Post a Comment