Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Bach Quickstep

Dances:  Waltz, Foxtrot, Quickstep
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.

*sigh* It's Monday again.  Coming from the opposite angle from my Friday post, Mondays still suck even when you're unemployed.  For some reason you still feel like you're supposed to be accomplishing something this week and it begins on Monday.  In my case, that holds really true as I have a lot of work to get done.  *sigh*  Arms and back was good today.  I pushed myself pretty hard and I'm getting quite a bit stronger.  Soon I'll have to start taking it easy or it might affected my overall look in Standard dancing.

Practice today started with a Nightclub 2-Step warm up.  Shaoshu was there and he likes to laugh at us when we dance that dance.  Everyone in our dance circle knows I love that dance.  The reason behind it is how laid back it is.  The timing is easy, and the dance just flows well.  Not to mention how easy it is to lead.  It's the ultimate dance to lead any lady in.  I've never had any problems leading it successfully no matter how experienced of inexperienced the woman is.  Awesome dance.

Sarah had her Standard syllabus with her today and we looked up the exact timing of the Tipsies.  As predicted, it's Bach timing.  Straight eighth notes, quick-and-quick.  Somehow I think Kora will disagree with this.  I'll ask her tomorrow at dinner.  In the meantime, Sarah and I continued to try the Tipsies with both timings.  The metronome was clicked up to a faster tempo than usual today.  We're really trying hard to work our way up to competition tempo.  Tipsies are the only thing holding us back in this regard.

After the Quickstep we moved on to Foxtrot and Waltz.  Foxtrot was doing better.  Not sure why it suddenly took a dip for us.  But it's improved.  I think our timing still needs a bit of work.  We're pretty good at delaying it at the beginning of our routine but slip back into our old habits as the dance goes on.  Much like someone writing a ransom note using fake handwriting but as they continue to write, they slip back into their own handwriting.  Rookie mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment