Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Foxtrot In Three Parts

Dances:  Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot, Quickstep, Viennese Waltz
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Arms and back at the gym.
Number of Naps Taken Over the Weekend:  6

Ok!  It's a new week and Sarah and I are going to try and get back onto our regular schedule.  So far so good.  My regular weight lifting routine went off without a hitch.  Sarah did not join me this evening for that part.  I find that when I don't workout with her it's kind of a double edged blade situation.  On one hand I get the whole workout done a lot quicker, and while that means I sustain my elevated heart rate better and in turn get a fuller workout, it also means I'm more tired going into practice.  Either way, I see it as a win.  We're both getting into better and better shape.

Practice today was mainly focused on Foxtrot and Tango.  We started practice to a few Viennese Waltzes that I had found over the weekend.  Luckily the tempo testing of both worked out great.  After that we dove right into Foxtrot with three objectives in mind.  First was to straighten out our Feather Step.  After a few runs I think we got it under control.  Next up was switching the toe lead into the Bounce Fallaway to a heel lead.  As simple and straightforward as that sounds, it actually took a significant amount of concentration to correct.  The result however was the Bounce Fallaway feeling A LOT better.  Smoother and not nearly as dorky.  Last but definitely not least, we focused on moving our connection point lower into our hips which meant me sucking in the tummy furthers and tucking my butt under my spine.  That one is going to take a lot of work before we get it.

Interspersed in between our Foxtrot practice was our Tango practice.  We once again employed the bar technique.  Overall I think our Tango is leveling out.  Next thing I need to work on is all the rotation in our first long side.  Making sure it travels down the floor.  But for now I'll settle for my frame not tilting side to side.

We finished out practice with a Waltz that took us a few tries to get to the end.  Nothing to be concerned about, but it was definitely amusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment