Sunday, August 28, 2011

Question Mark Quickstep

Dances:  Too Many to List
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

Ahhhh.  Friday at last.  It's a funny thing that even being unemployed, Fridays are still awesome.  I guess it comes from being busy with many other projects during the week and working with people during normal business hours.  So even with no real daily responsibilities, Fridays are still just as awesome.  Chest and shoulders went off without a hitch.  Pretty average workout day.

At practice Sarah and I just ran through our dances.  We're still working furiously on Quickstep.  Specifically the Tipsies at the beginning.  Recently we've called into question what the exact timing of the steps in that figure are.  Either completely straight Bach style eighth notes (quick-and-quick), or syncopated Glen Miller style dotted eighth-sixteenth note (quick-a-quick).  Sarah didn't have her Standard book with her so we're going to make it a point to see what it says on Monday.  In the meantime we've been experimenting with both timings.  I tend to like Back style better.  Seems easier to manage as well as get up to speed.  I'm pretty sure the book is going to reflect that since simple deduction from the other figures I know of not having any other weird timing would dictate that.  Who knows?  Stranger things have happened.

After practice Sarah and I headed over to DanceWorks for their Friday night dance.  It was a lot of fun.  Jackie and Lorenzo (also Kora and Simeon's students and friends of ours) were there.  So between the four of us we got a lot of dancing in.  One particularly interesting floor craft engineering I had to do was in the Quickstep.  They rarely play a Quickstep, if at all.  So Sarah and I got out on the floor to try it.  However the floor is simply just too small.  So in order to fit the end of my first long side and my short side in, I managed to weave it back and forth kind of like a question mark or a radiator.  Worked like a charm though we quit the dance shortly after that.  Too dangerous with all the Swing and Lindy Hoppers around.  One other funny thing happened when I asked Jackie to dance a Foxtrot.  Her response was "I don't know how to Foxtrot", which was weird to me.  She's been dancing for a while now.  How could she not have danced the Foxtrot?  When I asked her, she explained her strategy.  At her competitive level, Foxtrot isn't one of the dances you do, so she just put it off.  We all got a good laugh at this.  It's exactly like the Viennese Waltz.  You don't dance it in competition at all until your in Championship Level so most people just let it slide until then.  All in all a great night of dancing!

No comments:

Post a Comment