Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Keeping the Momentum

Part: Follow
Dances: Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot
Hovers: 1

Tuesday was chest and shoulder day for the workout, my least favorite always...however, I do believe I held up a bit better than I have in the past. Jeff complained less about my form, but maybe he's just giving up on me. All I know is that I can actually pull some weight now, so that can't be so bad.

Since I went home to shower, change, and eat between the workout and practice last night, the front desk guys were dully impressed when I returned an hour later, "Back for a second workout? Woah!" I had to confess that it was dance practice this time, but I would agree with them that it counts. Practice began with a night club 2-step, and then on to Waltz. We've kind of been making a habit of dancing through our waltz routine once after our warm up, I guess it just feels right to do that. It's a good habit to get into as that is how it works in competition. Because practiced ended up starting a bit late last night, it wasn't as long as usual and we mostly just ran through a few of our routines. We danced some tango, and while certain heretofore frustrating and dreaded parts are now relatively pain-free, I'm realizing more and more that my frame is kind of wonky in tango and I don't like what my left shoulder is doing. The fact that I have to wrap my arm over his and then have this sort of upward tilt to my elbow yet still have my shoulders down and back and my neck in a decent position is really not happening for me. I think I need to be farther left in general, but when I try that Jeff gets all disoriented and tries to reel me back in, so we'll have to get some "professional help," on this, I think. Anyways, at the end of our run through Jeff commented that I got really heavy, so something is obviously not right.

Foxtrot was fine; the reverse wave is my favorite I think, or maybe the curved feather into weave bits. I'm afraid our connection still gaps a lot in places it shouldn't; so maybe we need to get back to specific focus on this as I don't think it will improve if we just keep dancing and randomly keep it in mind when we happen to think of it.

This was one of those days where the practice was helpful to keep the body in the habit of moving this way, to keep the juices flowing and our momentum going for the week. Although it didn't really feel like we fixed any "issues" with this practice, at least we continue to get more and more familiar and comfortable with our routines and with moving together. And that, after all, is a huge part of why we have been committed to our almost daily practice sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment