Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Limited Slip Frame

Dances:  Waltz, Tango, Foxtrot
Part:  Lead
Workout:  Chest and shoulders at the gym.

Sarah's favorite workout day of the week: chest and shoulders.  I think she's making good progress there.  Definitely MUCH stronger than when we first started.  But her fear of getting too big still persists.  Part of me wants her to go through a routine designed to get "big" for a week or two.  Only then will she realize how far off she actually is from achieving that size.  That aside, the workout went well!

Practice started off with a Waltz.  Still going strong there, especially our Hovers.  I think I've figured out how to balance Sarah without going completely split weight.  Before the issue was me being forced to split my weight to maintain a stable frame in the Hover.  That lead to a really ugly and ungraceful clunking out of the Hover into the beginning of our routine.  But I think I've figured out how to gradually adjust my weight distribution over the entire length of the Hover so that we come out lightly and dignified.

Tango was next.  Sarah has begun to complain about her frame in Tango again.  The reason I say "again" is because something odd has been happening more and more recently.  Halfway through most dances, my right hand on her shoulder starts to slip down a bit.  Over time it moves probably about an inch.  Not sure what is causing that, and if it's also the cause of Sarah's point.  My frame still feels good and looks fine in the mirror but I wonder why my hand is slipping.  Either I'm dropping my frame on that side or Sarah is somehow moving around enough to cause the difference.  That aside, our Tango frame has always been an issue.  I think it has to do with the basic geometry of our bodies.  Something about our arm length and shoulder width is not completely ideal for the Tango frame with her hand wrapped under mine.  We'll need to ask Kora and Simeon about this soon.  Other than that, Tango still continues to improve and feel better.

We ended on the Foxtrot.  That dance has become quite tiring for me lately.  A lot to think about.  Footwork-wise, where and when to drag my heel versus not.  Also working on keeping my butt tucked under me.  And of course not nose diving into my promenades.  All things that will get you killed for sure on the competition floor.  Alas.

No comments:

Post a Comment